We need you!
At the Noah Webster House, we see thousands of visitors each year. We rely heavily upon volunteers to help us share the story of Noah Webster and his legacy, and of the history of West Hartford.
The museum is open Monday-Saturday from 1-4 p.m. (effective September 13, 2021). We are always looking for volunteers to help us greet visitors and to show Noah Webster’s National Historic Landmark birthplace.
You can help make learning fun by becoming a museum volunteer! Members of our dedicated volunteer corps greet and assist museum guests, lead tours of the Noah Webster House, and help out at special events like the West Hartford House Tour, Noah Webster Real Ale Harvest Festival, and West Hartford Hauntings.
If you’re looking to add to your résumé, want to meet new people, need service hours, or just want to have fun learning something new, check out the available positions below.
Our volunteers are from all over Greater Hartford and come from a variety of backgrounds. Anyone age 15 and over may apply.
- Become an Historical Interpreter: Don’t be intimidated by the fancy title – “Historical Interpreter” is just another name for a tour guide. If you love telling people stories, this is the position for you! You will receive training for this position.
- Host or Hostess: Greet visitors, collect admissions, assist with museum shop sales, operate the orientation video, and get the museum ready for guests. You will receive training for this position.
- Special Events: Help out at some of our exciting events like West Hartford Hauntings, Tavern Night, or Webster’s War of the Words.
- Internships: We offer several options for high school and college students looking for museum experience.
- Other options: There is always something going on at the Noah Webster House! Sometimes we need help with research, mailings, organizing, or even housework.
Are you ready to make a difference? Call 860-521-5362 or click on the appropriate link below:
Schedules & Commitment
The museum is open 6 days a week from 1 – 4 p.m. Scheduling and time commitments are flexible. Our volunteers work as little as one day a month, or as often as several times a week.
There are several advantages to volunteering at the Noah Webster House & West Hartford Historical Society.
- add to your résumé
- make new friends
- teach and share with others
- learn about local history
- develop new skills
- work a flexible schedule
You’ll also get:
- on-going training and support
- the museum’s quarterly newsletter, The Spectator
- a 10% discount in our museum shop
- free admission to many area museums
- member’s rates on many museum programs
If you would like more information on becoming a volunteer, or if you would like an application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 860.521.5362.