We need you!
At the Noah Webster House, we see thousands of visitors each year. We rely heavily upon volunteers to help us share the story of Noah Webster and his legacy, and of the history of West Hartford.
The museum is open Monday-Saturday from 1-4 p.m. We are always looking for volunteers to help us greet visitors and to show Noah Webster’s National Historic Landmark birthplace.
You can help make learning fun by becoming a museum volunteer! Members of our dedicated volunteer corps greet and assist museum guests, lead tours of the Noah Webster House, and help out at special events like the Connecticut Spelling Bee, Noah Webster Real Ale Harvest Festival, and West Hartford Hauntings.
If you’re looking to gain valuable work experience, meet new people, obtain service hours, or just want to have fun learning something new, check out the available positions below.
Our volunteers are from all over Greater Hartford and come from a variety of backgrounds. Anyone age 15 and over may apply.
- Visitor Services Associate: Greet visitors, collect admissions, assist with museum shop sales, operate the orientation video, and prepare the museum for guests. You will receive training for this position.
- Historical Interpreter: If you love storytelling, this is the position for you! Our Historical Interpreters guide visitors through the historic house. You will receive training for this position.
- Special Events: Help out at some of our exciting events like West Hartford Hauntings, Tavern Night, or Webster’s War of the Words.
- Internships: We offer several options for high school and college students looking for museum experience.
- Other options: There is always something going on at the Noah Webster House! Additional opportunities include help with research, mailings, and educational programs.
Are you ready to make a difference? Call 860-521-5362 or click on the appropriate link below:
Schedules & Commitment
The museum is open Monday-Saturday from 1 – 4 p.m. Scheduling and time commitments are flexible. Our volunteers work as little as one day a month, or as often as several times a week.
There are several advantages to volunteering at the Noah Webster House & West Hartford Historical Society.
- support a National Historic Landmark
- meet new people
- teach and share with others
- learn about local history
- develop critical thinking skills
- work a flexible schedule
You’ll also get:
- on-going training and support
- a 10% discount in our museum shop
- a 10% discount on facility rentals
- member’s rates on many museum programs
If you would like more information on becoming a volunteer, or if you would like an application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 860.521.5362.